1) Leave the bandage on for 2-3 hours after the procedure is complete. Do not re-bandage your tattoo.
2) Wash your hands with liquid antibacterial soap before touching your new tattoo.
3) Immediately after removing the bandage gently wash tattooed area with antibacterial soap and warm water.
4) Pat dry with a clean towel (Do not wipe as this could cause the removal of any scabbing that has formed and potentially cause a loss of pigment in your tattoo)
5) After 24-48 hours use a non-scented, petroleum free lotion (Aveeno, Lubriderm or Palmers Cocoa butter) or H2Ocean Tattoo Aftercare two to three times a day for two weeks or until tattoo is completely healed.
6) When applying lotion, use the smallest amount possible. The lotion should be able to absorb into the skin relatively quickly. If your tattoo looks shiny after you put the lotion on, you used too much. In most cases a drop the size of a dime is more than enough to cover a tattoo 5-6 inches in diameter.
7) DO NOT use any petroleum based products such as A+D or Vaseline on your new tattoo as these products clog the pores of your skin and do not let it breathe. This drastically slows down the healing process and can also lead to skin irritation or rashes on and around the area of you tattoo.
8) DO NOT apply sunscreen, aloe, or anything other than lotion to your healing tattoo.
9) Keep your new tattoo OUT of hot tubs, swimming pools, Jacuzzis, etc. for at least two weeks after getting a new tattoo as the bacteria in them can cause infection.
10) Keep your new tattoo AWAY from pets as their saliva and the dander from their hair can cause infection.
11) Keep your tattoo out of the sun/tanning beds for at least 3 weeks. Heavy exposure to the sun will fade the colors in your tattoo, especially lighter colors like yellows and oranges. Once your tattoo is healed use sunscreen to help prevent this.
12) Treat your tattoo as if it were an open wound as that is essentially what it is. The more you baby it the better a chance that it will heal up with no issues. It is normal for some scabbing to occur when a new tattoo is healing. DO NOT pick at or scratch your new tattoo as this will cause pigment loss.
If you have any questions or concerns during your healing process feel free to contact the staff at (503) 356-8854